Connect with us

News

Illinois gun rights group has other gun free zones in sights to be shot down

Published

on

Thomas R. Machnitzki | Wikimedia via Creative Commons

More gun free zones are in the sights of gun rights activists after the Illinois Supreme Court unanimously shot down one around public parks.

Last week’s ruling from the state’s highest court centered around Julio Chairez, who was charged criminally for having a concealed weapon within 1,000 feet of Virgil Gilman Trail in Aurora.

Illinois State Rifle Association Executive Director Richard Pearson praised the 7-0 ruling against the 1,000 foot barrier around public parks in state law. He agreed with the court that it was too burdensome for law-abiding citizens to navigate where they could or could not carry a firearm for protection, especially in Chicago, where there are 600 parks.

“There’s actually no place you can go in parts of Chicago that you can be a gun owner and even drive through the place,” Person said.

The ruling written by Chief Justice Lloyd Karmeier said “the most troubling aspect [of the 1,000 feet ban] is the lack of any notification where the 1,000-foot restriction zone starts and where it would end,” the ruling said. “Innocent behavior could swiftly be transformed into culpable conduct if an individual unknowingly crosses into a firearm restriction zone.”

Karmeir’s opinion said the state “conceded that an individual who lives within 1,000 feet of a public park would violate [the law] every time that individual possessed a firearm for self-defense and walked to his or her vehicle parked on a public street.

“To remain in compliance with the law, the State said that the individual would need to disassemble his or her firearm and place it in a case before entering the restricted zone,” the ruling said. “This requirement, however, renders the ability to defend oneself inoperable and is in direct contradiction” with other cases.

There are 23 different areas in Illinois you can’t carry a firearm in Illinois by law, even if you have a concealed carry permit, Pearson said.

“Like schools, like libraries, other 1,000 foot zones,” he said. “And I imagine that those are all going to be declared unconstitutional in a certain amount of time.”

But, Pearson said, there’s just one problem. Someone will have to be charged with violating the law to challenge it.

“We just have to wait for the right case to show up and see what happens,” Pearson said. “Nobody wants to be the guinea pig on purpose.”

The state’s argument in favor of the ban was it was for public health. The unanimous decision said that argument lacked any valid explanation of how the law would achieve that goal and doesn’t survive the heightened scrutiny that applies to burdening Second Amendment rights.

Article By Greg Bishop. For more Illinois News Network content, visit ILNews.org

Illinois News Network, publisher of ILNews.org, is a nonpartisan, nonprofit media company dedicated to the principles of transparency, accountability, and fiscal responsibility in the state of Illinois. INN is Illinois’ pioneering non-profit news brand, offering content from the statehouse and beyond to Illinoisans through their local media of choice and from their digital hub at ILNews.org. Springfield Daily was granted republishing permission by INN.

Local

Jacksonville City Council – Boy Scouts Citizenship Day

Thomas Clatterbuck

Published

on

The Jacksonville City Council held its regularly scheduled meeting Monday evening. To mark Citizenship Day, the councilors were assisted by Boy Scouts from several of the local troops. Scouts from Troops 107, 113, and 115 took part in the annual event.

More changes were authorized to the Lake Mauvaisterre Sediment Lagoons Reclamation Project. The changes called for the removal of an additional thousand cubic yards of soil from the lagoon area, at a cost of $7,530. Police Chief Adam Mefford also spoke about his department’s strategic plans for 2018, including equipment upgrades and other initiatives.

Local resident Nicole Riley spoke critically about the City’s decision to to assist the New Directions homeless shelter, while it did support the golf courses. She asserted that Mayor Ezard had informed the shelter that it would be unlikely to receive financial assistance from the city. Alderman Marcy Patterson responded by saying that the City had not received a formal request for funding, and that without that request they could not provide the funding. Patterson went on to say that other fundraising efforts to the shelter had been less effective in part due to poor communication with the leadership of the shelter. The full exchange starts at the 21:40 mark in the video.

You can watch the full meeting below:

Continue Reading

State

Former Madigan employee says House speaker covered up harassment complaint, retaliated against her

Published

on

The woman who made sexual harassment allegations against a high-ranking member of House Speaker Mike Madigan’s political organization is accusing the speaker of covering it up.

Alaina Hampton was employed with Madigan’s campaign committee and the Democratic Party of Illinois. She was supervised by Kevin Quinn, who has worked with Madigan’s political committees and state government office for two decades. Hampton alleges Quinn harassed her throughout the 2016 election cycle through a series of text messages. Hampton says she asked Quinn multiple times to stop making unwanted advances over many months, but he did not.

The text messages, shared with the Chicago Tribune, “detail a relentless series of entreaties” from Quinn asking Hampton to go out with him, the Tribune reported. In one text, he called her “smoking hot.”

At a Tuesday news conference in Chicago, Hampton said she filed a complaint about Kevin Quinn’s harassment with 13th Ward Chicago Alderman Marty Quinn, Kevin’s brother and one of Madigan’s top political lieutenants, in February 2017, but nothing was done.

In a statement, Marty Quinn said, “I immediately met with Kevin and told him to stop all communication with Ms. Hampton. I advised him that such behavior would not be tolerated, and that any further communication with Ms. Hampton would result in immediate termination. He was remorseful and acknowledged his poor judgment.”

But Kevin Quinn remained employed.

“Distressed by the Democratic Party’s lack of response to her complaint, and the prospect of having to continue to work with Kevin Quinn, she quit her employment with Friends of Michael J. Madigan and the Illinois Democratic Party in April 2017,” a statement released by Hampton and her attorneys says.

Hampton said she feels there was a cover up because she sent Madigan a private letter to his home in November 2017 about the issue after not getting any relief through other channels. But no action was taken on Kevin Quinn’s employment until Monday, a day after Hampton told the Chicago Tribune her story.

“It doesn’t take three months to read those text messages and know that that behavior was inappropriate,” Hampton said at a Tuesday news conference in Chicago. “It would take all of 20 minutes to know that that was sexual harassment.”

Hampton said she felt Madigan and others covered up her complaint and Kevin Quinn would still be in his job if she hadn’t gone to the media. Madigan’s Monday news release announcing his termination was “pre-emeptive,” she said, because the longtime House speaker knew the Tribune story was about to be published.

“They thought that I was too loyal to ever come forward,” she said.

Hampton’s attorney, Shelly Kulwin, said Tuesday that action should have been taken the second Hampton’s allegations became clear.

“At a minimum there should be an investigation by an independent party, usually an outside law firm, to investigate whether there’s any truth,” Kulwin said. “That’s what every credible organization does.”

Before resigning, Hampton said she still had hopes of working with the Democratic Party, and in particular on the House seat being vacated by state Rep. Juliana Stratton, D-Chicago, who is running for lieutenant governor. But Hampton said she was told Democratic resources were not being sent to the seat.

“That same morning I had gotten a text message from a Democratic Party staffer that said a Democratic Party staffer was being sent to that race that very same day,” Hampton said. She said she felt she was being retaliated against for bringing her complaint forward.

Hampton also has filed a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. After an initial investigation, Hampton and her attorneys said they will seek to file a lawsuit against the Illinois Democratic Party and Friends of Mike Madigan, for whom Hampton worked.

Lorna Brett, former president of the Chicago chapter of the National Organization for Women, is now advocating on Hampton’s behalf.

“Madigan simultaneously fast tracked legislation to eradicate sexual harassment in Illinois politics and killed the political career of Alaina Hampton for reporting sexual harassment in his own organization,” Brett said in a news release.

Madigan and other lawmakers late last year scrambled to address other sexual harassment allegations made in the wake of the nationwide #MeToo movement, including the revelation that more than two dozen complaints went un-investigated because the Legislative Inspector General position went unfilled for years.

Article by Greg Bishop & Dan McCaleb For more Illinois News Network content, visit ILNews.org

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Comedian Kevin Hart brings his ‘Irresponsible Tour’ to Springfield’s BOS Center

Eric Broughton

Published

on

Image Source: Kevin Hart, Facebook

Popular comedian Kevin Hart brought his comedy tour through Springfield, Illinois Sunday night and performed in front of a packed house at the BOS Center!

Hart’s huge 2017 included a best-selling book, “I Can’t Make This Up: Life Lessons,” a starring role in the remake of the movie “Jumanji,” a starring voiceover role in the animated “Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie.”

His previous tour filled arenas around the world, and even one stadium: Lincoln Financial Field in his hometown, Philadelphia, with the total tour grossing over $100 Million.

The Kevin Hart Irresponsible Tour will criss-cross North America and Europe, and also make stops in Australia and New Zealand.

Check out the video below when Kevin Hart let the crowd take out their phones, and enjoy a selfie video with him.

Video Source: LOL Network (Kevin Hart Irresponsible Tour)

Continue Reading

Sponsored Ad

Facebook

Sponsored

Trending